Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Quitting is tough, but one benefit for freebie hunters and those struggling to quit is that states in the US and across the world are realizing that giving out free stop smoking aids or NRT’s (nicotine replacement treatments) may help smokers quit at a higher rate. As a former smoker writing this, I wish I knew about this list before! Below is a list by state of how you can get free nicotine patches, gum or lozenges to help you or a loved one quit that cancer causing product.
Last updated 5/8/18.
Note: The majority of these programs require you to be 18 years of age and enroll in some sort of program to qualify.
Here is a list of states offering free nicotine patches, gum or lozenges (varies by program) below:
- Alabama: Can receive up to 8 weeks of nicotine patches for enrolling.
- Alaska: Can get free NRT (patch, gum or lozenge) for enrolling in multiple-call program.
- Arizona: Can get free NRT (patch, gum or lozenge) for enrolling in Quit Coaching program.
- Arkansas: Can call to request NRT (patch, gum or lozenge) while supplies last. Must be 18 and ready to quit.
- California: Only Asian-language speakers and parents who live with children ages 5 and under may be eligible for free nicotine patches.
- Colorado: Must be over 18 years old to require nicotine patches.
- Connecticut: Can get free patches or gum for setting a quit date if included in your personalized plan.
- Delaware: Qualifying low income folks get vouchers to buy stop smoking aids.
- Florida: Can get 2-4 weeks or nicotine patches, gum or lozenges depending on how you commit to quitting.
- Georgia: Anyone over 18 can get a 4 week-supply of gum and patch while supplies last.
- Hawaii: Can request NRT (patch, gum or lozenge) while supplies last. Varies by insurance plan.
- Idaho: Can get patches, gum or lozenges for free for residents 18 or older.
- Illinois: Lozenges, gum or patch aids are available for non-pregnant women, people NOT on Medicaid, with insurance coverage or people currently enrolled in NRT programs.
- Indiana: Can get patches or gum for those uninsured or on Medicaid or Medicare.
- Iowa: Up to 8 weeks of NRT for those uninsured or on Medicaid or Medicare.
- Kansas: No free NRT for the time being, but they offer a quit line at least.
- Kentucky: Anyone enrolled who is uninsured only can get free NRT products including lozenges, patches or gum.
- Louisiana: Gum and patches are available while supplies last from calling the hot line.
- Maine: Enrolling in the multi-call program and if insurance doesn’t cover NRT, you an get lozenges, gum or patches.
- Maryland: Must register for QuitLine and meet basic health requirements to get a free 4 week supply of gum or nicotine patches.
- Massachusetts: Must pass health screening and can get 2 week kit of patches while supplies last.
- Michigan: Using their telephone program you can get gum, lozenges or patches for free. May have to be uninsured.
- Minnesota: All residents 18 and older can get Nicotine patches, Nicotine gum or Nicotine lozenges.
- Mississippi: Can get up to 8 weeks of gum or patches if you meet requirements.
- Missouri: Uninsured can get free gum or nicotine patches while supplies last for calling hotline.
- Montana: All callers who enrolled can get up to 6 weeks of nicotine gum, patches or lozenges.
- Nebraska: Nebraska’s Quitline is offering a two-week supply of nicotine replacement aids at no cost. The offer begins on March 13, 2017, while supplies last.
- Nevada: Must be over 18 and can get free spray, inhaler, lozenges, gum or patches depending on your insurance.
- New Hampshire: Can get gum, lozenges or patches when available. Must be screen and use call line..
- New Jersey: While supplies last, must smoke 10 cigarettes a day or more and pass various qualifying factors like not being pregnant, agreeing to quit and more.
- New Mexico: Must be ready to quit in 30 days, 18+ years old and enroll in counseling.
- New York: While supplies last, must smoke 10 cigarettes a day or more and pass various qualifying factors like not being pregnant, agreeing to quit and more.
- North Carolina: State employees and uninsured can get patches or nicotine gum.
- North Dakota: Underinsured and uninsured can get up to 8 week supply of NRT for enrolling in multi-call program.
- Ohio: Can get nicotine patches for enrolling, must pass medical screening. Varies by insurance.
- Oklahoma: Can get 2-8 weeks of NRT gum, patches or lozenges for enrolling in program. Varies by program and insurance.
- Oregon: Can get patches or gum for having no contraindications and being over 18 years of age.
- Pennsylvania: Can get up to 8 weeks of patches, gum or lozenges for those that qualify after health screening.
- Puerto Rico: There is no program for free NRT’s currently but there is a “help kit” when you enroll which may contain NRT’s but it’s not clear from the website.
- Rhode Island: Can get a 2 week supply of nicotine gum, patches or lozenges for those over 18 and without medical issues. While supplies last.
- South Carolina: Can get free gum, lozenges or patches for those underinsured, uninsured or for some of those that are on Medicare and who have enrolled.
- South Dakota: Must enroll and can get nicotine gum, lozenges or patches.
- Tennessee: No free NRT at this time.
- Texas: There are strict health requirements (pregnant, mental disorder, etc) but you can get free lozenges, gum or patches. Also uninsured may get free NRT if health requirements are met.
- Utah: Can get 4-8 weeks of gum or nicotine patch. Must enroll. Varies by insurance.
- Vermont: Can get nicotine gum, lozenges or patches mailed to you while supplies last.
- Virginia: No free NRT available at this time.
- Washington: Can receive up to 2-12 weeks of nicotine gum or patches. Varies by health and insurance.
- West Virginia: Can get up to 8 weeks of nicotine lozenges, gum or patches for those who enroll in QuitLine.
- Wisconsin: Can get nicotine gum, patches or lozenges for whose who qualify.
- Wyoming: Eligible can get free nicotine gum, patches or lozenges.
I wish you luck on your journey and I hope these free NRT programs help you quit. Please share this below if this was helpful or share it with a friend or family member.
If you have any additional coupons or resources to help quit smoking please contact us so we can add it.