Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Ordering food for delivery is quick, and you can do it from the comfort of your home. Within minutes the delivery service drops off warm, delicious food at your doorstep. But delivery costs quite a bit. However, many restaurants and chains offer discount codes and other ways of saving on delivery costs.
The 7 Best Ways To Get Free Or Cheap Food Delivery Are Below!
- Some restaurants and chains offer free delivery if you sign up for their rewards program or order through their app or website.
- Many restaurants and chains have partnered with services such as Grubhub, DoorDash, and Uber Eats, and these companies offer free or discounted delivery on your first orders utilizing promotional codes.
- Grubhub offers the best initial discount out of the major services, but it’s worth signing up for other delivery services to take advantage of their initial offers.
- Competition among the delivery services is heated, and they constantly offer new promotional codes and other means of getting savings and discounts.
- The three most important food delivery services (Grubhub, DoorDash, and Uber Eats) offer subscriptions for $10 per month, allowing you to get unlimited free delivery on orders over a specific amount.
- You can get complimentary membership of these subscriptions with certain credit cards. Consider signing up for one of them to access the food delivery subscription membership.
- Many restaurants and chains offer free food delivery if you order through their website or app as an incentive to draw customers. Some require a specific minimum order amount.
How To Get Food Delivery Free Or Cheap
If you like ordering food, you may find that the cost of delivering the food adds considerably to the price. You would like to find a way to save on food delivery, but you do not know how to do so. Various discount codes for initial users and occasional promos can help you save.
Although finding these codes and applying them takes a bit of effort, it is worth considering how much you can save on the cost of having food delivered. Let’s look at how you can get free or cheap food delivery.
A fan favorite, Grubhub’s food delivery service operates nationwide in and around all the major cities and offers quick, reliable service. Grubhub provides the best first-order deal of all the delivery services, offering nearly double the savings you will get with any other delivery platform. The service offers $12 off your first delivery.
Get your $10-12 off your first delivery by going to the Grubhub sign-up page and signing up, and they will automatically apply the discount to your order.
Grubhub also offers a subscription service called Grubhub+. For a monthly subscription fee of approximately $10, you get free delivery on all eligible orders over $12. Orders are eligible if they are from a participating restaurant or chain. They also allow you to redeem ongoing offers of free food from participating restaurants, which can add up to more than $400 of food at any time.
You can get complimentary access to Grubhub+ using the Lyft Pink perk with the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. Sign up for this card to take advantage of this perk.
DoorDash is rapidly gaining ground as the most popular delivery service for many customers in the US. They are available in all major cities.
They offer free delivery for your first month on all orders of $10 or more. To receive this free delivery, ensure that you sign up with a referral code from a friend. Doing so rewards them and gets you your free delivery. Sign up here to get the discount.
Participating restaurants include Burger King, Chick-fil-A, McDonald’s, Panda Express, Papa Johns, Shake Shack, Taco Bell, and Wendy’s.
When checking out, you can also get a discount for your first pick-up order by applying the promo code TRYPICKUP.
DoorDash offers a subscription service called DashPass that will cost you approximately $10 per month but gets you unlimited free delivery on all eligible orders over $12 from participating restaurants.
You can obtain a complimentary DashPass membership with the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card (as with Grubhub), making this a great card to get if you want to save on food delivery costs. Alternatively, some co-branded Chase cards also allow you to get a complimentary DashPass membership.
A World or World Elite Mastercard gives you 3 free months of DashPass.
3. Uber Eats
The massively popular rideshare company, Uber, has expanded to food delivery in the form of Uber Eats. This expansion represents quite a natural branching out for such a company. It is rapidly gaining ground across the US and is now in most major cities.
Although they offer less than half the first order discount that Grubhub does, namely $5 off your first order, that is still a saving worth having. To receive the discount, apply the following promo code: eats-REEAv when checking out your order.
Uber Eats offers a subscription known as Eats Pass, which will cost you approximately $10 per month and gives you free delivery on eligible orders over $15.
Uber Eats also sometimes offers promo codes to get free or discounted deliveries for people who are not users of Eats Pass.
You can get a complimentary Eats Pass membership with an eligible American Express credit card, so if you like Uber Eats, this is another reason to have an Amex card.
Taco Bell offers free delivery on your first order through Uber Eats, provided the minimum you order is over $12. Starbucks offers free delivery ($0 delivery fee) through Uber Eats on all orders. An order fee may still apply.
DoorDash recently bought out Caviar, and they are gradually rolling their services together. You can expect the coupons for Caviar to become closer to DoorDash or even overlap.
However, for the time being, they remain separate services, with Caviar representing the cream of the crop. They vet the restaurants they provide delivery for, with only the very best of your local restaurants being considered good enough. You needn’t worry about getting a lousy restaurant when ordering through Caviar.
As with Postmates, Caviar does not give you a fixed dollar amount off your first order. Instead, they give you free delivery on your first order. You do not need to go to the trouble of copying a promo code to get that free delivery when you check out. Being a new customer is enough for them to automatically give you free delivery on your first order.
Postmates offers a lot more than restaurant delivery. In addition to delivering take-out meals to your doorstep, they also have groceries, alcohol, convenience items, and much more. You can use the following discount for any delivery.
While some food delivery services give you a specific dollar amount off your first order, others, such as Postmates, give you free delivery for signing up for a free 7-day trial of Postmates Unlimited. To receive free delivery on your first order, apply the following promo code – ABXDWF – while checking out.
GoPuff food, alcohol, and daily essentials delivery service has an ongoing deal for new users. As long as you place a $20 order minimum each time, you get $10 off your first 2 orders with the code GET20.
GoPuff delivers for a flat fee of $2.95. However, if you subscribe to their service, you get unlimited free delivery on eligible orders.
7. Offers By Specific Restaurants
Sometimes, you can get discounts on food delivery by changing which restaurant or chain you order from.
- Subway and Boston Market offer ongoing free delivery for ordering through their app or website. Subway offers 15 percent off any footlong through the app using the code 15OFF.
- Rubio’s Coastal Grill also offers free delivery on orders through their app or website, provided your minimum order is $20. Signing up for Rubio’s Rewards gets you $5 off after you have placed your first order.
- Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop affords you free delivery as long as you order through their website. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams provides free delivery on orders through their website, as long as you order a minimum of 4 pints of ice cream.
- Popeyes provides free delivery and a free Chicken Sandwich on orders through their app that cost over $20.
- Del Taco offers free delivery through Postmates if you apply the promo code DELTACONOW during checkout. If you prefer Torchy’s Tacos, you can get free delivery through DoorDash. Blaze Pizza provides free delivery through Postmates on orders of $15 or more. Taco Bell offers a free reward for signing up through their app, and 10 points for every $1 you spend – 250 points get you a reward.
- Willy’s Mexicana Grill offers 50% for signing up as a Burritohead and provides you with exclusive deals after 24 hours. Chipotle offers a $1 delivery fee on all orders over $10. Baja Fresh offers their Club Baja rewards program, which gives you a free taco for signing up, a free perk on your birthday, and hundreds of dollars of discounts for the year.
- Romano’s Macaroni Grill offers ongoing free delivery as an incentive for you to buy from them. Meanwhile, Buca di Beppo provides free delivery through Grubhub, DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Postmates.
- Insomnia Cookies offers ongoing free local delivery and reduced shipping on its Sugar Rush boxes, the sale of which also results in a $1 to the American Red Cross.
- Over and above the first free delivery you get with DoorDash, it’s worth checking McDonald’s delivery page for additional delivery deals. They also offer a free 10-piece McNugget for downloading the McDonald’s app and signing up for their rewards program.
- Wendy’s provides a free 10-piece Nuggs with any purchase and gives you 150 bonus rewards points with your first spend. Check this page for ongoing offers and coupons on food and delivery.
- Burger King gives free delivery on all orders of $5 or more placed Thursday through Sunday. Perfect for your weekend food cravings. On other days, orders placed through their website or app trigger only a $1 delivery fee.
- Panera offers an excellent rewards program. In addition to the free sweet treat or free pastry and savings you can get from them, they also provide free delivery for 30 days after you have been a member of the rewards program for a month.
- Meanwhile, P. F. Chang’s offers a 1000 points bonus for signing up to their rewards program, which is half what you need for your first $15 reward.
- Starbucks offers a once-off free drink for signing up for their Rewards Program. If you sign up for Uber Eats, you get $5 off your initial 2 orders using the code COFFEE4U.
- Jamba gives you a free Functional Boost with every smoothie order you place through their app.
- This one is going to be popular with your kids. Dickey’s Barbecue Pit gives free Texas-style barbecue for kids on Sundays. This deal applies to all delivery and carryout orders, provided you order at least one entree and use the code KEFOLO.
How Can I Get Free Or Cheap Food?
You can get free or cheap food in various ways, not all of which are ethical or legal. If you want huge savings on food, stay on the right side of the law. Look for restaurants and stores that offer coupons that can net you significant discounts on food or even wholly free food items or deals where you get a free side for ordering a cheap entree.
What Is The Cheapest Food Delivery Service?
When considering Grubhub, DoorDash, Postmates, and Uber Eats, the food delivery service that works out the cheapest is Uber Eats. In the long run, this makes up for their poorer first order discount and higher qualifying order on their subscription service.
Who Does Free Delivery For Food?
Because all food delivery services operate as businesses rather than charities, they do not make a habit of providing free delivery. The discounts they offer on delivery are there as an incentive to get you to buy food. Having said that, if you look for the correct promo codes, you can sometimes get massively discounted or even free food delivery.